A Time & Place In Appalachia Living

Food is only part of the story.

Here you'll find a look inside professional kitchens—the food, the people, the systems, the challenges, and the small things that can make a big difference.

Written from the perspective of a chef who has spent decades working in kitchens ranging from Michelin-starred restaurants to mom-and-pop operations, and who is still learning every day.

The kitchen is where all of these things meet—and that is what this journal is about: the work, the craft, the people, and the systems behind good food.

Explore the Journal

Four Ways Into the Kitchen

Stories, ideas, lessons and observations from a life spent working in professional kitchens.

Free Kitchen Tool

What Is 1% Worth to Your Restaurant?

Small improvements in food cost can have a surprisingly large impact on restaurant profitability. Use our free calculator to see what a 1% improvement could mean for your operation.

Calculate Your Opportunity →
Kitchen Operations

How the kitchen works.

Workflow, organization, food cost, inventory, preparation, communication and the systems that keep a professional kitchen moving.

Chef's Perspective

Lessons from the line.

Experiences, lessons and observations gathered through decades of working in professional kitchens.

Food & Technique

The craft of cooking.

Recipes, ingredients, techniques and the details that turn good food into memorable food.

The Barnhill Journal

Looking at kitchens differently.

Thoughts on leadership, kitchen systems, the restaurant industry and the journey toward culinary consulting.

Sunday, January 2, 2022

FULL BODY

 I WOULD BE LYING IF I TOLD YOU THAT I DIDN'T PUSH MYSELF A LITTLE HARD LAST NIGHT.  I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH AN ELBOW AND A SHOULDER INJURY FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS AND I AM CERTAINLY FEELING BOTH OF THEM TODAY.  HAVING A VARIETY OF EXERCISE COMBINATIONS IS KEY.  TONIGHT WAS 

5 SETS OF 10 STEP UPS ON EACH LEG, 100 TOTAL, WEARING AN 11# VEST AND HOLDING A 25# DUMBBELL IN EACH HAND

5 SETS OF 20 PUSHUPS BETWEEN STEP UP SETS WEARING 11# VEST

THE NEXT DAY IS ALWAYS THE INDICATOR OF EFFECTIVENESS!  

I RARELY HAVE A PLAN FOR THE EXERCISE ROUTINES THAT I DO.  MY DECISIONS ARE ALWAYS BASED ON WHAT MY BODY TELLS ME AND HOW MUCH TIME I HAVE.  HAVE FUN, GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR ROUTINES, AND LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  EVEN IF YOU ONLY HAVE TEN MINUTES, GO FOR IT.  YOU CAN DO A LOT OF AIR SQUATS OR PUSHUPS IN 10 MINUTES.  




 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment