A Time & Place In Appalachia Living

Food is only part of the story.

Here you'll find a look inside professional kitchens—the food, the people, the systems, the challenges, and the small things that can make a big difference.

Written from the perspective of a chef who has spent decades working in kitchens ranging from Michelin-starred restaurants to mom-and-pop operations, and who is still learning every day.

The kitchen is where all of these things meet—and that is what this journal is about: the work, the craft, the people, and the systems behind good food.

Explore the Journal

Four Ways Into the Kitchen

Stories, ideas, lessons and observations from a life spent working in professional kitchens.

Free Kitchen Tool

What Is 1% Worth to Your Restaurant?

Small improvements in food cost can have a surprisingly large impact on restaurant profitability. Use our free calculator to see what a 1% improvement could mean for your operation.

Calculate Your Opportunity →
Kitchen Operations

How the kitchen works.

Workflow, organization, food cost, inventory, preparation, communication and the systems that keep a professional kitchen moving.

Chef's Perspective

Lessons from the line.

Experiences, lessons and observations gathered through decades of working in professional kitchens.

Food & Technique

The craft of cooking.

Recipes, ingredients, techniques and the details that turn good food into memorable food.

The Barnhill Journal

Looking at kitchens differently.

Thoughts on leadership, kitchen systems, the restaurant industry and the journey toward culinary consulting.

Thursday, January 6, 2022

S S S SQUATS, MAKE ME HAPPY

   LISTENING TO THE JOCKO PODCAST ON MY COMMUTE HOME TONIGHT AND THEY WERE TALKING SQUATS, DEBUNKING RUMORS, AND OTHER FUNNY STUFF, I COULDN'T HELP BUT GET EXCITED FOR LEG NIGHT.  EPISODE HERE.  SQUATS ARE NOT MY STRONG SUIT AND SOMETIMES I AM GUILTY OF MAKING UP AN EXCUSE AS TO WHY I SHOULD DO ANOTHER UPPER BODY ROUTINE.  ANYWAY, I WENT FOR IT.  I LIKE TO WARM UP WITH JUMP ROPE, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE FROM ROGUE.  SR-1S SPEED ROPE.  4 SET OF 20, 115#.  FOLLOWED BY A FEW SETS OF SQUAT JUMPS.  NOTHING TOO CRAZY BUT I CERTAINLY FELT IT THE NEXT DAY.  REMEMBER, IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO DO SOMETHING, RATHER THAN NOTHING AT ALL.  EVEN DOING 4 SETS OF 25 REPS BODY WEIGHT SQUATS IS A GREAT QUICK WORKOUT THAT CAN BE DONE IN THE MORNING IN YOUR KITCHEN OR WHEREVER BEFORE THE KIDS WAKE UP.  IT WILL REALLY GET THE BLOOD FLOWING AND GET YOUR DAY OFF TO A GREAT START!       

No comments:

Post a Comment